Sunday 9 October 2011

Valentines Day Lament


The Georgian mansion feels cold and empty
Memories play on the crystal chandelier
Darkness holds me in its relentless grip
Red roses lie randomly on the floor
And a glass of white wine rests in my hand
The roses have died and turned black
Black roses on Valentine’s Day
My love is far away
It may be many years before we meet again
Angellica left me five years to the day
My dear love was on her way to meet me
And enjoy a romantic meal at Luigi’s, our favourite restaurant
But her red Ferrari spun out of control
On a tight bend near our home
She died instantly in a tangled wreck of metal
So each Valentine’s Day I drink a glass of wine
I drive my black Mercedes to her grave
And place red roses next to her grey headstone
“My beloved wife, so beautiful and pure,”
“ Who’s life was so cruelly cut short,”
“You are always in my thoughts”
I live comfortably in my exclusive Californian mansion
But all the luxuries and all the money in the world
Cannot bring my love back to me
Until the day I die
And embrace her again in heaven
And kiss her soft lips
Share in my bitter sweet memories this Valentine’s Day
The memories of our love sustain me
And comfort me in my idyllic isolation

No comments:

Post a Comment